Visit the “Town That Time Forgot” to experience a unique tourist destination with a rich history and scenic surroundings. A mining boomtown that has been virtually untouched since the mid-1800s, Galena is a meticulously preserved period town that is home to over 1000 historic buildings. The residence of U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant, this historic destination also offers a wide selection of outdoor activities nearby, including challenging golf courses, exciting ski resorts, family fun at Lake Galena and horseback riding through rolling hills and flower-filled valleys.
Galena Area Attractions
- Apple River Fort State Historic Site - 7.9 miles
- Belvedere Mansion - 7.0 miles
- Chestnut Mountain Ski Area - 15.5 miles
- Dowling House - 7.7 miles
- Eagle Ridge Resort Golf Courses - .3 miles
- Galena/Jo Daviess County History Museum - 7.7 miles
- Galena Trolley Tours - 7.4 miles
- Lake Galena - 8.0 miles
- Shenandoah Riding Center - 2.1 miles
- Ulysses S. Grant Home - .02 miles
From Dubuque: Leave Dubuque on US 20 E for 22 miles, and then turn left onto Eagle Ridge Dr. Take the first right onto W Longhollow Rd., and the vacation rentals are on your right at 5129 W. Longhollow Rd.
From Chicago: Head west out of Chicago on I-90 for about 75 miles, then exit onto I-39 S/US 51 S toward Rockford. In three miles, continue onto US 20 W for about 70 miles. Turn right onto Eagle Ridge Dr, then take the first right onto W Longhollow Rd. The vacation rentals are on your right at 5129 W. Longhollow Rd.